In the marketing world, the world where I have made my living for the last 34 years and counting, there seems to be a lot of consultants nowadays, offering their teachings to business owners.
Here is a little golden nugget to ask the next guru who tries to sell you marketing services. Ask the consultants this.
- How long did you work for someone like me, in an industry like mine?
- How long have you been in business?
- Who taught you all that you know?
- Sales management?
- Finance Management?
- Inventory Management?
- Service Initiatives?
- Business Development techniques?
- Who organized your business at the very beginning?
- Who taught you about campaign segmentation?
- Who taught you where to outsource your services?
- How can I verify your personal success before you started your business?
- What is your rate of growth?
- What are your own metrics on Google Analytics?
- How many of the services you are selling do you utilize yourself to grow your company?
- Who acquired most if not all of your clients?
When you get the answers to the “who’ questions, hire their teachers! 🙂